Thursday, November 10, 2005

A fine line between appreciation and fascination

I have always been crazy about cars. Seeing how much cars have developed down the years, the evolution from the ridiculous boxy and eye sore designs, to the more streamlined and aerodynamically optimised beautiful designs, from the petrol guzzling, environment destroying engines, to very efficient, environmental friendly engines, from clumsy and bumpy rides, to smooth and comfortable rides, it is unbelievable how far things have gone.

I am so in love with cars, so much so that once, my mate asked me, "which do you like better, cars or girls?". "Ahah...that is a very tough question" was my first reaction to it. And it was tough. Mind you, it wasn't the answer that was tough. The answer I already knew, it was how my mates would think of me that caused my hesitation. The answer was obvious, I love cars more than I do girls.

And as expected, they said that I was a freak of nature, that I'm gay, that I'm a disgrace to all the men in the world. Well, obviously, I begged to differ. You see, I don't think I'm a freak of nature, I think that people like me are a rare breed. Through out my years living in this world, and of all the people that I've met and become friends with, I have only met two other people who were like me. Like I said, rare breed.

And I don't think I'm a disgrace to all the men in the world, and I am definitely NOT GAY, I'll repeat that again, I'm definitely NOT GAY. Should I repeat again? Mmm... I think that would be enough. FYI, I am happily married, and I am 100% in love with my darling wife. So that's proof enough that I'm straight.

I don't know, it is really hard to explain this to other people, but I'd try my best. I see it as being in two categories, firsts, acknowledgement and appreciation, second admiration and fascination. Just follow me here, ok? If there's a young hot chick behind me, well of course I'll turn around to catch a glimpse of her. Once I see her, I'll acknowledge and appreciate her beauty, and that would be the end of it. I won't be gaping my mouth, or degrade her into a piece of my sexual fantasy. I think men who do that are just sexist pigs, and they should be shot on sight!

But if a Flying Spur, a Corvette or an M5 were to be passing by, then it is totally a different matter. I'll explain this giving a real life example. I was in Manchester, quite some time ago, and I was at this pizza joint to grab a bite. I parked my car at the side of the road, got out and started to walk to the take away shop. Suddenly, out of no where came this low pitched noise. Slowly at first, then it got louder and louder. I knew I was in for a treat, as this was no ordinary sound, it was the sound of engine revvs. Not some bullshit modded up car with huge mufflers taken of an aeroplane. No, that engine sound was as sweet and as true as can be.


Sure enough, a few seconds later came this stunning green Gallardo cruising down the road. (That's a Lamborghini Gallardo for you guys not in the know). Oh my god, you could almost feel the rumble coming from that V10, vibrating your ear drums to a point of ecstasy. The driver wasn't speeding, he/she was just cruising by, showing off the car. It was probably some lame assed good for nothing spoilt brat student driving that car, but for all I cared, it was a magnificent piece of engineering. It fascinated me, and I was full of admiration. So there you have it, a simple and short (??) example to try and explain my passion for cars.

Should I be ashamed of loving cars more than I like women? Well, I for one don't think so. It's just my own preference, isn't it? I should be proud and be true to myself, and to perfectly honest, I am!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey speed junkie....i'm a student in malaysia...i like reading your posts in paultan.org...and when i saw you had your own blog..i had to read it...

i just wanna say that i agree with you...i'd choose cars over girls any day...i appreciate things like engine roars and stuff...you are not alone...

i like this post of yours...it is so true....chow...

5:14 am  
Blogger Speed Junkie said...

Thanks man :)

I'm new at blogging, so I'll try to keep this up to date as much as I can.

11:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zongtwi, i know how you feel when that gallardo cruising in front of you.. BTW, Lotus UK ek? MSX ke? or NEF? bukan dah tapau ker?

4:32 pm  
Blogger Speed Junkie said...

Bukan MSX and bukan NEF, skrg duk buat projek lain ngan Lotus.

8:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooo, 2+2 ka? Dgr citer LE nak kena jual, betul ke? korang ni mcm2 cerita.. VVA tuh idea bagus, takkan la tak boleh jual..

1:37 pm  
Blogger Speed Junkie said...

VVA mmg bagus, tp x bnyk OEM nak aluminium chassis.so quite limited market...I think most probably it's one for the future.

5:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home