Thursday, November 10, 2005

Cosa Più Vicina A Perfezione

The closest thing to perfection...

Yes, the new 2005 F430 Spider is a magnificent car. I had a chance to go up close and personal with this iconic masterpiece, and the experience did not disappoint. What better way to start out my blog than to write about this experience.

When I found out there was one parked in the workshop where I work, I knew I just had to see it. Walking there, I felt nervous. My heart was thumping hard. Weird, you say? Well, I've seen alot of great supercars before, the 360 Modena, the Lotus trio, Elise, Exige and Esprit, the Dodge Viper, Bentleys, Aston Martin DB9 and DB7 among others, and the only other car that made me feel nervous and giddy was the Mercedes-Benz Mclaren SLR.

The short journey seem to take forever. And then finally, I saw it. This red beast perched proudly on it's four wheels, it was a sight for sore eyes. From the back, the four tail pipes shining either side of the huge diffuser. Catching a glimpse of the beauty cover for the V8, as well as the sheer brilliance of the design stretching out to the front end of the car, there was almost like an aura coming from it.


As I ran my fingers along the curves, I couldn't help but admire the beauty that sprawled naked in front of me. The soft top hood was up, although I wished it went topless. I reached the door handle, pulled the door open, and sat inside. As any sportscar, entering and exiting the car was a slight pain, but in this case it was good, because once you're in, you never want to get out.

Sitting in the driver's seat, I couldn't stop looking at the proud prancing horse right in front of me. The feeling of completeness came to me, knowing that if I was destined not to sit in another car for the rest of my life, it was ok, because at that moment I knew things wouldn't, couldn't even, get better than this. I was savouring every second of my time in the car, because I knew only a handful of people in the whole world have experienced what I was experienceing.

I went out, and went straight to the engine bay, and again, the shear brilliance of how the engine was presented blew me away. The two rows of cylinders sat proudly and comfortably in the middle of the car. The engine was like a wolf in sheep's clothing, looked so harmless and pretty on the outside, but a raging menace with enough brute force to tear everything else to pieces on the inside. Ferrari won't let you forget that this piece of art you are looking at is theirs, so for good measure, they printed their name on the red beauty covers. If you asked me, I'd say it made the whole thing much better.

I was a bit bitter though, missing the opportunity to see this magnificent car being thrashed around the track. Especially since this was the first Ferrari with the new innovative electronic differential which improves traction and road holding under all conditions, a direct importation from their all Conquering F1 cars. I do hope I get this opportunity again some other time.

F430 SPIDER
BRIEF TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT
Length: 4512 mm (177.6 in)
Width: 1923 mm (75.7 in)
Height: 1234 mm (48.6 in)
Wheelbase: 2600 mm (102.4 in)
Front track: 1669 mm (65.7 in)
Rear track: 1616 mm (63.6 in)
Kerb weight: 1520* kg (3,351 lbs)

ENGINE
Type: 90° V8
Bore x stroke: 92 mm x 81 mm (3.62 x 3.19 in)
Unitary displacement: 538.5 cc (32.87 cu in)
Total displacement: 4.308 cc (263 cu in)
Compression ratio: 11.3:1
Maximum power: 360.3 kW (490 hp/483 bhp at 8,500 rpm)
Maximum torque: 465 Nm (47.4 kgm/343 lbs/ft) at 5,250 rpm
Specific power output: 114 hp/l

PERFORMANCE
Top speed: >310 km/h (over 193 mph)
0-100 km/h: 4.1 seconds

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sheesh..and i thought i was the closest thing to perfection haha.. :)

2:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, ##NAME##, there's a lot of information around on the internet, and I was looking for Cool Carss when I saw your blog. Interesting viewpoint, and refreshing. I'm a bit of a fast car fanatic - have been for years. Good blogging! Rex ##LINK

5:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home